Alayna Murray Swims With Olympians (09/30/13)
(By Michelle Murray)
Alayna Murray had the unique opportunity to swim and train with two Olympic swimmers on Sunday, September 29, 2013.
Alayna attended the Fitter and Faster Swim Tour hosted by Swim Outlet at Chartiers Valley High School in Bridgeville, PA. She was able to train and work out with Olympians, Claire Donahue and Peter Vanderkaay!
Alayna participated in skill & drill clinics in the water and on land, and had the opportunity to race with Vanderkaay in Freestyle and Butterfly events.
Alayna lives in Clarion and has been swimming for the Brookville YMCA for four years. She is now a member of the Clarion County YMCA Riversharks swim team.
She is 11 years old and has attended districts in the 100 Freestyle, the 50 Butterfly, the 100 Freestyle Relay, the 100 IM the 50 Backstroke, the 50 Breaststroke and several other events.
Following are brief bios of Peter Vanderkaay and Claire Donahue:
· Three-Time Olympian (2004, 2008, 2012)
· 2012 Summer Olympics U.S. Team Captain
· Two-Time Olympic Gold Medalist
· 2008 Bronze Medalist – Men’s 200 Free
· 2012 Bronze Medalist – Men’s 400 Free
· Current World Record Holder (800 Free Relay)
· 6-Time NCAA Champion
· 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist (400 Medley Relay)
· 2011 Pan American Games Champion (100 fly, 400 Medley Relay)
· 2011 NCAA Runner-Up (100 fly)
· Currently training for the 2016 Sum